This week I’d like to address the confusion that exists about the various hospices in our area as it relates to giving. In evaluating any business, I look at the following criteria:
- Does the business have a proven record of successfully providing the services needed?
- Do I know anyone who has used the services and recommend them?
- Is the organization a member in good standing of the Chamber of Commerce?
And when evaluating whether or not to provide donor support to a non profit, I use the following criteria:
- Are the majority of funds used to provide the programs/services to our local community?
- Is there a local unpaid board of directors to provide oversight and guidance to the organization’s management?
- Does the organization have a proven track record of fulfilling its mission?
- Is the organization headquartered in our community and is it an integral part of the fabric of our community?
Hospice Savannah, Inc. is a designated member agency of the United Way of the Coastal Empire and is proud to answer “yes” to all these questions. Please feel free to contact me or Megan Kerley of our Foundation if you are confused about giving to hospices. All hospices are not created equal!
Pictured: Current Hospice Savannah Foundation Inc.’s Board chair, Samuel Adams. Click here to read about our board leadership.